Your normally healthy, active dog is vomiting and acting depressed or tired - and your plant has been mauled. Or, your dog has gotten hold of that chocolate cake sitting on the table, and now he's paying the price.
Most veterinarians have fielded those frantic calls from dog owners, whose dogs ingested something that made them sick. Dogs, like children, depend on us to protect them from harmful substances.
That's why the National Poison Prevention Week, which runs in March includes dogs. The campaign is an effort to raise awareness about dangerous substances and educate people on how to handle an emergency.
Some of the more common poisons dogs ingest include insecticides, antifreeze, household cleaning solutions and poisonous plants. Human foods can also be harmful, such as chocolate.
If your dog or cat has ingested a poisonous substance, being prepared can make the difference between life and death. That means knowing how to handle a poison emergency and contacting your veterinarian or a poison control hotline immediately. There are poison control centers that specifically handle pets. One such center is the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, which can be reached by calling 1-800-365-8951 (charges will apply).
National Poison Prevention Week comes once a year, but safety should be practiced every day. If you suspect your pet has ingested poison, be prepared to answer the following questions when you contact your veterinarian or poison control center.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is launching an engaging, fun and educational feature on their website (www.apcc.aspca.org) titled “Make Your Pet's Home Poison Safe” to educate pet owners about common household toxins and guidelines to prevent accidental pet poisonings in the home.